Retinal detachment is a condition in which the thin layer of tissue at the back of the eye pulls away from its regular position. The retinal attachment separates the retinal cell from the layer of the blood vessel that actually provides oxygen and nourishment to the layer. The longer the retinal detachment situation goes untreated and the patients are at the greater risk of permanent vision loss in the affected eye.
Flashing lights and floaters are the initial symptoms of the retinal detachment or of the retinal tear that leads to the detachment itself. Analysis on time and reinstatement of the retinal detachment is very important as visual improvement is much greater when the retina is restored before the macula area gets detached. A surgical repair explained below of retinal detachment is successful in reattaching the retina properly.
Retinal detachment itself is painless. But generally, a warning signal always appears before it occurs or has an advance such as:
- The sudden appearance of many floaters that seem to drift through your field of vision.
- flashes of light in one or both the eyes
- blurred vision
- Gradual reduced side peripheral vision
- a shadow over the visual field.
What is a retinal tear?
Retinal tear generally comes before full detachment. Also, it has similar symptoms. If the retina gets worn out the leak can separate the retina from the original tissue. This is nothing but retinal detachment.
As a part of the eye exam, the doctor will put the eye drops which will dilate your eyes for better vision. The doctor uses special equipment for looking into the eye and see if the retina is detached. Early diagnosis is key for prevention of vision loss from a detached retina.
Retinal Detachment Treatment in Delhi
- Laser or freezing: Both methods can repair a tear if it is diagnosed early. The procedure is often done in the doctor’s clinic or office.
- Pneumatic retinopexy: It is a perfect solution if the tear is small which is easy to close. The doctor injects a tiny gas bubble between your lens and retina. It rises and presses against the retina, closing the tear. The doctor can also use the laser or freeze to seal the tear.
- Scleral Buckle: It is a surgical method where the doctor sews a silicone band around the white of the eye. This band is invisible and is permanently attached.
- Vitrectomy: This is another surgical procedure where the doctor repairs big tears. The doctor also replaces vitreous and replaces it with saline solution. Depending on the size of the tear, the doctor can use various combination of vitrectomy, buckle, laser and gas bubble to repair the tear.