LASIK which is laser vision correction is the most advanced vision-correcting procedure available today, is helping many people who never dreamed of being independent of visual aids, to see freely and clearly. LASIK is the procedure to reshape the cornea, allowing the light rays to focus more precisely on the retina. A thin flap of corneal tissue is created and folded back with an instrument called microkeratome. Afterwards, the laser is used on to the next layer of corneal tissue, reshaping the corneal contour to remove refractive errors. The corneal flap is returned to its original position where it bonds without the need for stitches.
LASIK Eye Surgery Steps
- The anesthetic eye drop is put into the eye and then with the help of lid holder gently keeps the eyelids open.
- Patients remain comfortable and awake throughout the procedure.
- A small suction ring is placed around the cornea which serves as a platform for the microkeratome. Then a thin flap is made in the cornea.
- Patients are requested to look at the light which is targeted while laser reshapes the corneal tissue.
- The procedure lasts for about 5-10 minutes depending on how much correction is needed.
- The corneal flap is placed back in its original position and allowed to adhere for several minutes. No stitches are required
- After 15 to 20 minutes later the cornea is checked. The patient is sent home with drops and a shield. Another appointment is planned for following day.
- Vision is improved dramatically and the patients generally active a day after the surgery.
Anybody between the age of 18 to 40 can be eligible for LASIK. The candidate must have a stable refraction for about a year. People with some medical condition, pregnant or nursing women may not be eligible. LASIK is a great technique for correction for people with:
- Other impaired vision problems
The laser procedure itself is a painless procedure. A slight pressure may be felt during the procedure. For about 3 to 4 hours there can be a slight degree of discomfort. If this discomfort persists you can contact your eye surgeon. After the surgery patients are on medicated eye drop for about 4 weeks. and eye lubricating drops should be used for at least 3 months. LASIK is a suitable technique which generally has good success rate and the patients are also happy.