B-Scan ultrasonography is a simple noninvasive tool for diagnosing lesions of the posterior segment of the eyeball. Common conditions such as cataract, vitreous degeneration, retinal detachment, ocular trauma, choroidal melanoma, and retinoblastoma can be evaluated with this test. B-scan is cost -effective. In addition, it is non-invasive and easily available and the result is also enormous.
The main characteristic of B-Scan ultrasonography are :
- It’s a reliable, safe, cheap and rapid investigation
- It provides excellent quality real-time imaging
- It helps in evaluating the posterior segment in the presence of opaque ocular media
- It is useful for preoperative planning
- It is preferred screening in extraocular lesions